The strategic handling and disposal of used fuel can be an overwhelming task complicated by fuel histories spanning almost 40 years, a variety of cask vendors, and ever changing loading requirements. Fuel misloadings and tech spec violations can be devastating. Sub-optimal loadings can paint you in a corner and excessive campaign or off-site dose can be dangerous to your staff.
Planning for your first campaign involves many coordinated steps that our team’s experience can help you with immensely. We can help you successfully initialize and complete your first dry cask storage campaign, whether we are helping you chose a cask vendor, develop procedures, or characterize your entire fuel inventory. Based on your specific needs we can help you get on the right path or drive a campaign to completion by incorporating best practices our team has implemented to develop hundreds of successful cask loads. Maintaining a used fuel program can be equally challenging, especially for smaller utilities where sporadic loading activities can pull staff away from other critical work. Frequent cask vendor license amendments can affect your future loads in unforeseen ways. Partnering with our constantly engaged team will help ensure that your fuel is out of the pool and onto the pad without impacting other plant operations.
With more recent focuses on the integrity and full core offload capabilities of spent fuel pools, we’ve focused additional efforts on developing methods to support our industry partners with a variety of spent fuel pool analyses. Gamma and neutron heating sources can affect the integrity of the concrete walls. Long-term exposure of the absorber plates can lead to a loss of their ability to effectively control neutron sources. With advanced in-house and industry standard methods available, our team can assemble a customized solution for you. TransWare is 50.59 and 72.48 qualified at several utilities and has performed work under the utility QA program or under their own NUPIC-approved quality assurance program that meets the requirements of 10CFR50, Appendix B and 10CFR21.
Cask Loads Designed
- We can review your loading procedures or provide a customized set of procedures to get your program started.
- Initialization of your plant-specific fuel database including complete characterization of your existing fuel inventory.
- Assistance with cask vendor selection based on site-specific considerations.
- Assistance with determining the best licensing approach for your plant, either through the use of cask vendor licensing agreements or through the implementation of a site-specific license.
- Off-site and occupational dose evaluations based on as-loaded fuel design parameters and pad arrangements.
- Gamma and neutron dose contributions included.
- High-fidelity models support precise surface dose calculations around the entire cask.
- Support for industry-accepted and site-licensed MCNP methods. Additional methods developed in-house provide additional code verification resources.